Saturday, June 23, 2012

NETWORKING, is that so IMPORTANT???


NETWORKING
Nowadays people often talk about how important networking is.
http://auginhamilton.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/networking.jpg
To be a successful person networking is indeed very helpful.
In Indonesia, sometimes people can get easy way thought so called "networking".
Well I would like to talk about it in my entry today.

Why would I talk about it now?
Honestly my sister went for some AIESEC program to Hanoi, Vietnam.
There   she met with a lot of people from different country; namely South Korea, Taiwan, China, South Africa, USA, and Vietnam itself.
My suggestion to her:
Meet new people, talk with them, interact and learn from them. Make your network as wide as possible.
This is her chance to make friends with people from different background and nationality.
Well she attended university in my home country Indonesia and there is limitation to make international friend.
I can call myself lucky to get accepted at Nanyang Technological University, Singapore.
As we know Singapore becomes a global hub both education  and business purposes.
Hence I had the bigger chance to make friend with people from many Asia's country and beyond.

Before I had no imagination that I could meet people from Europe/USA.
Even thinking to have friends from  middle and eastern part of Indonesia never cross my mind.
I have no tools and barely know no one.
The friends that I had limited to my school friend only.
And even that I didn't try to make a lot of friends from high school.
Well you can ask my high school friend, how many of them know me personally.

It's not that I didn't want to make friends at the first place.
I'm an easy going person and people person, ask my friend to confirm this ;)
I thought as long as I could move on by myself I need no one.

But times prove me wrong.
I learn the power of networking through courses, experience, and  sharing.
Though I took Engineering course, I loved to join Business course.
There I learned how important networking is.
When people gather, talk about their idea, sharing their thought, it can stimulate ourselves.
Networking is like making spider web, connecting from one point to another.
It combines two people or more with same ideas or like minded.
Networking is not just about chit chat, it's how we share with other our opinion.
Knowing people from the way they talk, present themselves, and engage in conversation.
We learn about the attitude of being social person.
Experience is the best teacher.
As student, we join different kind of group. It's a way for us to learn about networking.
There are a lot of so called "professional" club to help us learn the real word works.
Let's just say AIESEC, Toastmasters, Lion, etc. You name it.
Since I joined Toastmasters, I will talk about it to share it with others.
It is a club to train both leader and master of public speaking.
They train us how to be a good presenter yet with a good impression.
It helps us to know how to think on the spot, same like we are having conversation.
We need to think fast but we can't show it to the next person.
We need to keep the conversation engaging and exciting to keep it forward.
But at the same time we have to focus not to get out from the track.
It is the best way to learn by doing.

Third, we can learn from others' sharing.
Like now I share my experience and I hope you can get something out of it.
This is the point of networking, sharing; ideas, opinions, critics,  suggestions.
Take from others that you think good for your improvement.
And at the same time, give advise for others' improvement.
We learn and grow together as human being.
Don't forget to take note the important point.
And apply what you have learned and heard in the next battle.
This is how we learn.

To end this entry, I would like to give you my pointer on networking from my experiences.
Please feel free to add on in the comment section below.
As I said we learn, grow, and share together.

Let's go with the pointer:
    http://images.wikia.com/socialnetworkingeducation/images/2/2a/Networkingsites.jpg
  1. Focus on the goal and don't lose track. Know why you go there for networking, either knowing new people or getting some new ideas for example.
  2. Talk to people and don't be shy. You are there to meet, talk, and share with others not just enjoying the food (if any) or being alone. Make sire you are prepared on what you want (Look 1).
  3. LISTEN. Well as much as you want to talk, you have to listen to others. It's not just about you but also your partner. You can learn and get something from listening to others. Don't get intimidated.
  4. Keep the contact. People tend to forget to keep contact at the end of the conversation. Exchanging name card, phone number, email, or even adding at social media can be a way.
  5. Have the attitude!!! It's important. People won't talk to rude guy. Keep your manner, the way you talk, your poise and posture. Make sure you treat other the way you want to be treated.
Have a good networking and first of all YOU GOT TO ENJOY IT!!! :)
 ~Wilson Wijaya, Lee/23 June 2012~

No comments: